"It's the first time I've seen him not smile in two weeks since he's been here."
Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder is the latest manager to try and reinvigorate the career of former England midfielder Kalvin Phillips.
He is the latest to see the Manchester City man sent off.
Since January 2024, Phillips has made 19 league starts in loan spells at West Ham, Ipswich and United and he has now been given a red card playing for all three sides.
His sending-off in Sunday's Steel City derby for a poor follow-through on Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Svante Ingelsson totally changed the complexion of Sunday's Steel City derby and nearly let the Owls, who ultimately lost 2-1 to suffer relegation, in for a remarkable comeback.
Phillips, who was making just his second league start for the Blades, will now serve a three-match ban - the latest in a long list of disappointments since his big-money move to Manchester City in the summer of 2022.
Wilder accepts 'humble' Phillips 'got it wrong'
In total, Sunday was just Phillips' 29th start in club football since he left hometown team Leeds United in July 2022.
It quickly became apparent that City boss Pep Guardiola did not think he was at the level he required and his loan spells with the Hammers and Ipswich were both largely disappointing.
It had been hoped that a move back down to the Championship, where he excelled under Marcelo Bielsa for the Whites, could kickstart his career but he now faces a self-inflicted spell on the sidelines just as he looked to build momentum.
Wilder said he felt the 30-year-old's lack of competitive football played a part in the red card.
"Once you slow it down it looks pretty bad," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.
"Sometimes when you've not played a lot of football recently you can get it wrong.
"We suffer but he suffers more because he's been outstanding, so for him to miss three games is disappointing."
Despite this latest setback, Wilder praised the attitude Phillips has shown since joining on transfer deadline day.
"He's such a humble boy," he said.
"My first meeting with him I thanked him for coming here and playing a part, and he thanked me and he was the other way.
"This is the first time that we've seen him a bit down but he'll get over it and we'll put work in him and he'll be OK."
'We're not a reckless team'
Phillips is the fifth Sheffield United player to be sent off in 2026.
Japhet Tanganga and Djibril Soumare were both red-carded in the away defeat at Charlton, while Patrick Bamford saw red in the home win over Ipswich and debutant Joe Rothwell was sent off in the defeat by Middlesbrough at Bramall Lane.
Victory over their rivals moved United up to 14th, six points off the play-offs.
Wilder does not believe his side have a discipline problem, despite now having had a man sent off in three successive home league games.
"I don't think we're a reckless team, a few boys have mistimed challenges and paid the price," he said.
Phillips will start his ban in Wednesday's home game against Championship leaders Coventry City.
- Latest Sheffield United news, analysis and fan views
- Listen to Sheffield United content on BBC Sounds
- Get Sheffield United news sent straight to your phone